Monday, August 23, 2010

ahhh, Shakespeare

This post will be brief. I thought Shakespeare was supposed to be hard? I distinctly remember struggling through Shakespeare in the past. But I really loved this one!

Title: A Midsummer Night's Dream
Author: The Bard himself, William Shakespeare
My start date: 8/21/10
My finish date: 8/22/10
Book count: 43/100

Perhaps I have gone wrong in the past by focusing on the tragedies and the histories. I have done Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and the usual suspects. This was, I believe, my first Shakespearean comedy. It was a pleasure to read, not at all difficult to follow and I am now actually enthused to attempt another!

A note on edition. Like any good literature student, I own the collected works of the Bard in a giant, (no seriously, HUGE) leather bound Yale edition. I didn't read that. I found this one on my shelf individually and paperback, with interlinear notes to help me along. That might have contributed to my enjoyment and I am very tempted to keep using this brand.

That's it for now!
Keep Reading!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment